Skip to main content

The First Boutique


After living in "Nineveh" for a short time and then figuring out I didn't have to live in black and white, or even beige...I met these awesome new friends at a craft faire that were opening a new boutique. It was a boutique called Creme de la Creme...the best of the best and their goal was to have individual artisans make up this boutique by renting out "booth space" to sell their wares. They've popped up everywhere now but five years ago it was completely unique and I was super excited about it. (P.S...they're still going strong where others have had to close; coincidence? I don't think so) 

Luckily, I secured the biggest "booth" in the bunch since it was the early stages when I found out about it. This is also when the bug to build and create booths started and only got stronger after it was complete. It's no secret to my friends that I probably have the craziest imagination between us; it's always in overload really and I am constantly being snapped back into reality because I look "dazed and confused" in middle of conversations...often. I can't go into a restaurant and not imagine a different way to design it or a diner and think "If I just had an afternoon and a gallon of paint, I could really do something in here." Soooo, when I got the biggest booth allowed, I immediately went to work planning the best space possible.

I imagined a dollhouse but, not wanting to be a giant room at the back of the boutique, I thought it would look awesome if the room was built with 2x4s like we were going to frame a room but leave it open. I was even going to make an awning and install a window or two; hand paint a rug on the floor of my space, and voila...this would be a booth like no other. 

I've included some pictures of what my imagination looks like in action... warning, it could be a little much...and this was just the beginning. You're welcome. 




The first step was defining my space with paint...and stripes of course


Started with a yellow square and stencils to do the base of rug


Then a border and hand painting the fringe...yes, I have LOTS of patience


Ta Da...the walls going up and window frames in place


Vintage windows add the perfect touch


No room would be complete without a roof and eaves on the outside


Branches and flowers made of napkins add whimsy to an otherwise fluorescent sky


A free 1980s entertainment center refashioned to a display case

Because every vintage armoire needs to be purple striped and yellow plaid


Queen Anne feet are my favorite for this EXACT reason...ballet slippers




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Traveling Kates

You’re here…now what? First, let me start by introducing ourselves; you’ll notice that none of us are named Kate…let alone ALL of us…to be dubbed the Traveling Kates. We are three awesome friends that came together in friendship and collaboration; a blending of businesses and talents, personalities and interests, who thought “Wouldn’t it be nice if….” The rest, as they say, is history. If you’ve scrolled back to the beginning of where our blogging began, at the start of this year then you know where we began and how we got to this point. (If not yet…you may want to go back and see what we’ve been up to so far…go ahead, we’ll wait.) My name is Gidget and I have the perspective of Alice in Wonderland; I believe anything is possible, I never look at something (or someone) as being done and not having another chapter in them if given the chance, and I absolutely love bold colors, flamingos, plaid as my neutral and cheetah is considered a staple in my tiny house. Yes…I am one ...

Kate's Closet

Imagine a fabulous 8ft by 24ft walk in closet; sure they’re out there, but I know that…living in just 200sq ft, I don’t have one. In fact, I have a closet that is just 1ft wide by 4ft tall and hubby has one of his own. We did build a buffet that is great for folded items to fit; which is also awesome because I am one that absolutely loves ironing. No… that is not sarcasm; I REALLY do. I even iron sheets and pillowcases each week on laundry day. But…I digress. Imagine a great big, ROLLING, walk in closet; a closet that rolls right up to your front walk; plugs in, rolls out the proverbial red carpet…except ours is in a snow leopard print, and invites your friends to come in and play dress up. Yes… THAT! There are two Kates in our Traveling Kates collection of vintage traveling boutiques and Kate’s Closet is the larger of the two; she is 24ft where her sister Kate is just 10ft long. She’ll get a blog and renovations all her own later. ;) Kate’s Closet was a sad little thing whe...