Skip to main content

The Rolling Cottage


Fast forward a couple years; the boutique is fabulous and constantly evolving to include new artisans, the tea party space is booked nearly every weekend, Holly Goes Lightly is more popular than any person on Main Street and then…hubby said he was ready to retire. What did that mean? Retire into our little life on Main Street or take on a whole new adventure?

After talking about our options and love for living tiny, I made the craziest of suggestions…what if we sold it all, bought a travel trailer, and traveled the country? Mind you, I’ve never camped and thought moving into our 500sq ft was tiny but was now suggesting to go uber tiny and travel around despite not ever actually being in a travel trailer before. Again…I found myself letting my fingers do the walking over my laptop keys to Craigslist; searching for a new adventure…one that had never been uttered or even thought of before.

Things happened quickly after that; I mentioned the idea to a few people and just like that…it was a reality. I spoke to a friend about the possibilities of retiring and she was super excited to take it all; my boutique, my tea party space, AND my little rolling shoppe, Holly. There was just one hiccup…timing. We decided to close the boutique just after Christmas and had until the end of January to make it all happen; found a travel trailer we liked online via a dealer, bought the second one we saw, took delivery a week later, and by January 19th…my youngest daughter’s birthday and my parents’ wedding anniversary. It was a whirlwind, which is just how we generally do things; fly by the seat of our pants kinda decision makers. Is there any other way?


But, as usually happens in living spontaneously…plans changed yet again. As we took delivery of our 2001 travel trailer, hubby was promoted instead of retiring and we had to commit to another three years before retiring. What did that mean? It meant that we would be living in our tiniest of tiny homes but staying in Tulsa at a private RV park instead of roaming the open road. We took it in stride and I began my biggest, little renovation to date. Below are the pictures of some of the projects we did; others thought we were crazy but to us…it seemed like the perfect next step in an already BIG but tiny adventures. 


Layout after our renovations were made

Our interior living space before renovations

Interior space in the middle of renovations. We removed the dinette to add a buffet and coffee bar, and we removed the bunks to create a desk space for sewing and blogging. Added new floors, lots of new paint, and trim...not yet painted; even a chandelier

The original bunkhouse

The transformation

My new create space; much better than bunk beds

Transformed into a hanging closet

Jewelry storage


A very very small bathroom...better use of space; we showered in our RV park clubhouse

New planked walls and handy storage

Kitchen space before renovation

Freshly painted with stained stove cover and newly cut out cabinets

Bedroom before renovations

Bedroom after our personality added

Added insulation in window and created a tufted headboard

The side of bedroom closet in sitting room

Dinette removal and wall build

Way more practical than a 3ft wide dinette







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Traveling Kates

You’re here…now what? First, let me start by introducing ourselves; you’ll notice that none of us are named Kate…let alone ALL of us…to be dubbed the Traveling Kates. We are three awesome friends that came together in friendship and collaboration; a blending of businesses and talents, personalities and interests, who thought “Wouldn’t it be nice if….” The rest, as they say, is history. If you’ve scrolled back to the beginning of where our blogging began, at the start of this year then you know where we began and how we got to this point. (If not yet…you may want to go back and see what we’ve been up to so far…go ahead, we’ll wait.) My name is Gidget and I have the perspective of Alice in Wonderland; I believe anything is possible, I never look at something (or someone) as being done and not having another chapter in them if given the chance, and I absolutely love bold colors, flamingos, plaid as my neutral and cheetah is considered a staple in my tiny house. Yes…I am one ...

The First Boutique

After living in "Nineveh" for a short time and then figuring out I didn't have to live in black and white, or even beige...I met these awesome new friends at a craft faire that were opening a new boutique. It was a boutique called Creme de la Creme...the best of the best and their goal was to have individual artisans make up this boutique by renting out "booth space" to sell their wares. They've popped up everywhere now but five years ago it was completely unique and I was super excited about it. (P.S...they're still going strong where others have had to close; coincidence? I don't think so)  Luckily, I secured the biggest "booth" in the bunch since it was the early stages when I found out about it. This is also when the bug to build and create booths started and only got stronger after it was complete. It's no secret to my friends that I probably have the craziest imagination between us; it's always in overload really and I ...

Kate's Closet

Imagine a fabulous 8ft by 24ft walk in closet; sure they’re out there, but I know that…living in just 200sq ft, I don’t have one. In fact, I have a closet that is just 1ft wide by 4ft tall and hubby has one of his own. We did build a buffet that is great for folded items to fit; which is also awesome because I am one that absolutely loves ironing. No… that is not sarcasm; I REALLY do. I even iron sheets and pillowcases each week on laundry day. But…I digress. Imagine a great big, ROLLING, walk in closet; a closet that rolls right up to your front walk; plugs in, rolls out the proverbial red carpet…except ours is in a snow leopard print, and invites your friends to come in and play dress up. Yes… THAT! There are two Kates in our Traveling Kates collection of vintage traveling boutiques and Kate’s Closet is the larger of the two; she is 24ft where her sister Kate is just 10ft long. She’ll get a blog and renovations all her own later. ;) Kate’s Closet was a sad little thing whe...