Skip to main content

Playing Dress Up


When I was younger and asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, I always said that I wanted to be a teacher. I loved learning; addicted it to it really… but soon realized that I wasn’t cut out to be a teacher. Sure, I loved kids and I loved learning but I didn’t love trying to teach someone else how to do something. I even set up a corner of our family room to be a mini sewing studio for my three girls one Christmas; getting them a sewing machine and all the tools needed to begin creating. They were excited. I was excited, until it came time to teach them how to create on their own. I’m not sure if they even really had the interest at the time (although I think two of the three wish I would have taken more time then, since they want to know now) and every time I tried to teach them something…I found myself scooting them out of the chair and just doing it myself.

Mom fail.

Teach a man to fish (sew) and they’ll fish for a lifetime? Um… nope. I’ll just do the fishing myself. That was the end of the sewing lessons. The corner soon became home to a TV and a video game chair that saw a lot more attention.

I loved that I could create something I dreamed up in my head but fashion design was not in the cards for me as a young mom. I even remember going into a DOTS retail store to apply as a manager with my credentials of a fashion degree beaming off my resume; within thirty minutes I was hired and I was excited to begin a life in fashion… albeit quite a few rungs away from designing for the runway. When I asked what the starting salary would be, she told me $10/hour. Um… what? I quickly responded “But, I have a degree.” To which she replied “Yes, I know… that is why it is $10/hour and not $8/hour.” Shortest fashion design career in history; I walked to the car, not accepting the position, and started looking for a job in administration…the field I worked in for the 20 years that followed.

Funny how dreams as kids are supposed to be waaaay more fun than dreams as a grown up BUT, mine was a bit topsy turvy. I love all things Alice in Wonderland with imaginations abounding and no limits; I wish that I had this mentality with my girls were still young and we could enjoy it together. I painted their rooms to look like Ariel’s underwater seascape and a Tiffany & Co. box, but when it came to being the fun mom and doing what I loved for a job…that didn’t happen; not until MUCH later.

After two failed marriages, a bout with breast cancer, surviving THREE teenage girls with just 11months between each one…I was finally getting to live the dream. It wasn’t the dream I ever had growing up; or even one I imagined as I got older but I realized it was a dream opportunity when it was right in front of me.

After living in Oklahoma for about three years; I was getting known for my boutique designs and was quite busy designing and building boutiques for my friends, and for family of friends, and for friends of friends…but it was time to settle down and do something for me. My best friend is a real estate agent, along with owning other properties herself, and knows of my love for boutiques and turning forgotten spaces into something more memorable and fun. She told me about a building on Main Street in downtown Collinsville, Oklahoma…just a couple blocks down the road from the very first boutique I was in…a few years earlier. It was a building about 100years old and was only 12ft wide x 45ft long; you see, my building was built in what used to be an alley. If you look at old maps from the city “back in the day” you’ll see an empty space next to that Opera House that is now a land developer’s headquarters upstairs and a bookshop downstairs.

We decided to drop everything…and I mean EVERYTHING. We moved from a 2500sq ft home to the 500sq ft flat above the boutique; my world was about to get a whole lot smaller AND bigger at the same time. Realizing the dream of Playing Dress Up as a job and living tiny in the flat above was never something I would have thought of, but now I could think of nothing else.

Wanna see what I did with the space that would give a whole new meaning to “working from home?”

Check it out. 

Our tiny storefront after painting and window with my aprons and Couture bras

Looking very dated; we tore it all out and exposed the brick.


Under paneling was an inch of plaster THEN the brick. 


I love painting stripes to add punch to ANY space; especially small ones. 

A perfect "welcome mat" to the boutique; I painted the floors too. ;) 


The best part of just opening around the holidays. 

My fave picture ever taken from the boutique! No contest...

Even the snowflakes had personalities of their own.


Welcome to our 500sq ft flat above the boutique.

Small bathroom with big possibilities


Before and after.... (kinda; I stained the pine board above tile but no idea where that pic is)


My not so tiny kitchen; it was 12ft by 12ft...which is alot for a 500sq ft flat. <3 

My bedroom corner; it was a weird shape but we made it work.

The bedroom nook worked great for a headboard made of doors 
and "breakfast in bed" table


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Traveling Kates

You’re here…now what? First, let me start by introducing ourselves; you’ll notice that none of us are named Kate…let alone ALL of us…to be dubbed the Traveling Kates. We are three awesome friends that came together in friendship and collaboration; a blending of businesses and talents, personalities and interests, who thought “Wouldn’t it be nice if….” The rest, as they say, is history. If you’ve scrolled back to the beginning of where our blogging began, at the start of this year then you know where we began and how we got to this point. (If not yet…you may want to go back and see what we’ve been up to so far…go ahead, we’ll wait.) My name is Gidget and I have the perspective of Alice in Wonderland; I believe anything is possible, I never look at something (or someone) as being done and not having another chapter in them if given the chance, and I absolutely love bold colors, flamingos, plaid as my neutral and cheetah is considered a staple in my tiny house. Yes…I am one ...

The First Boutique

After living in "Nineveh" for a short time and then figuring out I didn't have to live in black and white, or even beige...I met these awesome new friends at a craft faire that were opening a new boutique. It was a boutique called Creme de la Creme...the best of the best and their goal was to have individual artisans make up this boutique by renting out "booth space" to sell their wares. They've popped up everywhere now but five years ago it was completely unique and I was super excited about it. (P.S...they're still going strong where others have had to close; coincidence? I don't think so)  Luckily, I secured the biggest "booth" in the bunch since it was the early stages when I found out about it. This is also when the bug to build and create booths started and only got stronger after it was complete. It's no secret to my friends that I probably have the craziest imagination between us; it's always in overload really and I ...

Kate's Closet

Imagine a fabulous 8ft by 24ft walk in closet; sure they’re out there, but I know that…living in just 200sq ft, I don’t have one. In fact, I have a closet that is just 1ft wide by 4ft tall and hubby has one of his own. We did build a buffet that is great for folded items to fit; which is also awesome because I am one that absolutely loves ironing. No… that is not sarcasm; I REALLY do. I even iron sheets and pillowcases each week on laundry day. But…I digress. Imagine a great big, ROLLING, walk in closet; a closet that rolls right up to your front walk; plugs in, rolls out the proverbial red carpet…except ours is in a snow leopard print, and invites your friends to come in and play dress up. Yes… THAT! There are two Kates in our Traveling Kates collection of vintage traveling boutiques and Kate’s Closet is the larger of the two; she is 24ft where her sister Kate is just 10ft long. She’ll get a blog and renovations all her own later. ;) Kate’s Closet was a sad little thing whe...