Skip to main content

Holly Goes Lightly

Anyone else would be happy; ecstatic even, at the idea of having a boutique and living in the flat above it…adding at tea party space would have been icing on an already moist, and exploding with flavor, cake.

BUT…I wanted just a little bit more.

Her name was Holly; I dreamed of her while designing an idea for a craft fair I had coming up. My plan was to close the boutique early and take it on the road to participate in this event just one town over, stepping out and getting a bit of exposure for my Simply Lyla’s boutique. (Lylas by the way is not a family member but means Love Ya Like a Sister…something I had started at our church in Michigan and kinda something I loved when moving to Oklahoma too)

I decided to look on Craigslist one night for a mobile boutique option; hubby was open to the idea when I suggested it, so I had to look quickly…while he was still in the mood…kinda like a wife may bring up the idea of another baby BUT absolutely nothing like that at the same time!

GUESS WHAT?!?!

I found one…the very first search. It wasn’t in the Tulsa area but in a random, small town, 4 hours north of us in Kansas. It was a Friday night and the seller had just posted a few hours before; I had heard that this was the best way to find these vintage campers since the “glamping” trend became a very real thing. (Thank you Pinterest) People were now finding these vintage campers, redecorating them and playing “glamorous camping trips” in them. Not going to lie, the idea of chandeliers, blinged out cannisters, new flatware and whimsical zebra pillows did cross my mind; even lingered a little while.

I sent an email to the seller expressing my dying need for this camper and waited. He didn’t respond until MONDAY MORNING which was the absolute biggest test in patience…EVER. I was the first one to inquire on her and he said that he would hold her until the weekend when we could get there to pick her up. The rest, as they say…is history.

Look at the pictures below to see a bit of her transformation; it was a doozy AND what started my love affair with vintage campers…I just had no idea how much until a year later. You’ll hear all about that too; I pinky promise.


The interior; from left to right. You could literally only stand up in the middle 2 feet

The demolition. EEK! Lots of water damage and we had to start from scratch

Outside gets some love

Interior gets LOTS of love

Parked in front of my boutique before her big reveal

Her rear end

Her first craft faire

Her first night on the town




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Traveling Kates

You’re here…now what? First, let me start by introducing ourselves; you’ll notice that none of us are named Kate…let alone ALL of us…to be dubbed the Traveling Kates. We are three awesome friends that came together in friendship and collaboration; a blending of businesses and talents, personalities and interests, who thought “Wouldn’t it be nice if….” The rest, as they say, is history. If you’ve scrolled back to the beginning of where our blogging began, at the start of this year then you know where we began and how we got to this point. (If not yet…you may want to go back and see what we’ve been up to so far…go ahead, we’ll wait.) My name is Gidget and I have the perspective of Alice in Wonderland; I believe anything is possible, I never look at something (or someone) as being done and not having another chapter in them if given the chance, and I absolutely love bold colors, flamingos, plaid as my neutral and cheetah is considered a staple in my tiny house. Yes…I am one ...

The First Boutique

After living in "Nineveh" for a short time and then figuring out I didn't have to live in black and white, or even beige...I met these awesome new friends at a craft faire that were opening a new boutique. It was a boutique called Creme de la Creme...the best of the best and their goal was to have individual artisans make up this boutique by renting out "booth space" to sell their wares. They've popped up everywhere now but five years ago it was completely unique and I was super excited about it. (P.S...they're still going strong where others have had to close; coincidence? I don't think so)  Luckily, I secured the biggest "booth" in the bunch since it was the early stages when I found out about it. This is also when the bug to build and create booths started and only got stronger after it was complete. It's no secret to my friends that I probably have the craziest imagination between us; it's always in overload really and I ...

Kate's Closet

Imagine a fabulous 8ft by 24ft walk in closet; sure they’re out there, but I know that…living in just 200sq ft, I don’t have one. In fact, I have a closet that is just 1ft wide by 4ft tall and hubby has one of his own. We did build a buffet that is great for folded items to fit; which is also awesome because I am one that absolutely loves ironing. No… that is not sarcasm; I REALLY do. I even iron sheets and pillowcases each week on laundry day. But…I digress. Imagine a great big, ROLLING, walk in closet; a closet that rolls right up to your front walk; plugs in, rolls out the proverbial red carpet…except ours is in a snow leopard print, and invites your friends to come in and play dress up. Yes… THAT! There are two Kates in our Traveling Kates collection of vintage traveling boutiques and Kate’s Closet is the larger of the two; she is 24ft where her sister Kate is just 10ft long. She’ll get a blog and renovations all her own later. ;) Kate’s Closet was a sad little thing whe...