Skip to main content

Live Colorfully





One of my biggest complaints; a really loud, ugly, and not very nice complaint that I thought when moving to Oklahoma...was beige; the walls of that first place we called home were VERY beige. It was just as far as I thought I could get from what I was used to. I like striped walls and color and mixing prints and patterns; I felt that I had been moved from my colorful world to Pleasantville...living in black and white, and shades of BEIGE. 

How could my husband expect me to live in this bland place? 

Here's the thing.... he didn't. Moving to Oklahoma didn't mean that I had to change who I was or how I decorated. Sure, the apartment walls couldn't be changed from beige, but I fixed that with bits of my personality and now...my personality is on sensory and color overload. When we moved here, I thought that meant that I had to change who I was and what I liked. Um... why? Sure, I tend to have a little bit different personality than others but that just makes me different and not wrong; and it certainly doesn't mean everyone else is "beige." I haven't mentioned my bible crush just yet; and I'm certain it will come up again BUT... Paul says  "Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind." I don't have to be like everyone else BUT, I do have to refresh and renew the way I look at things sometimes.   (Thanks for the reminder, boyfriend) 

There have been a few addresses between that first beige apartment and where we are now; lots of projects and painted walls, furniture and modified oil paintings. I soon realized that my zip code didn't determine the person I was and instead of trying to be more like my perceived surroundings, I was unapologetically me and I was happier...despite the rising temperatures, tornado warnings, and flat landscape. 

In our first house after the apartment lasted just six months, due to it's tiny size and beige walls closing in (which will be funnier later since it was 1,000sq ft)...I was able to paint walls and add a few touches to the space that made it feel more like "home." I added yellow horizontal stripes to my kitchen walls; now we were getting somewhere. I took out the single light bulb boob light over the table space and we installed two vintage lightbulbs and shade frames in its place, AND...I painted a builder grade white door black and red to give a weird powder room alcove, a bit more flair. 

Once we had the space to create, there was not stopping us. There were tables and bookshelves and dressers that got painted, tables that were built to cover bathtubs and host 4year old birthday parties, and each one made me feel a "little bit more me." 

Who knew that living colorfully could make ANY zip code feel a little more like home? 


Oh, hello yellow...
  
A builder grade, white door gets a personality of its own.

Our first bathtub table; they look waaay better now.

An 8ft long kid size farm table for entertaining the littlest of people.

I absolutely love all things numbers and words and add them anywhere I can. 






















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Traveling Kates

You’re here…now what? First, let me start by introducing ourselves; you’ll notice that none of us are named Kate…let alone ALL of us…to be dubbed the Traveling Kates. We are three awesome friends that came together in friendship and collaboration; a blending of businesses and talents, personalities and interests, who thought “Wouldn’t it be nice if….” The rest, as they say, is history. If you’ve scrolled back to the beginning of where our blogging began, at the start of this year then you know where we began and how we got to this point. (If not yet…you may want to go back and see what we’ve been up to so far…go ahead, we’ll wait.) My name is Gidget and I have the perspective of Alice in Wonderland; I believe anything is possible, I never look at something (or someone) as being done and not having another chapter in them if given the chance, and I absolutely love bold colors, flamingos, plaid as my neutral and cheetah is considered a staple in my tiny house. Yes…I am one ...

The First Boutique

After living in "Nineveh" for a short time and then figuring out I didn't have to live in black and white, or even beige...I met these awesome new friends at a craft faire that were opening a new boutique. It was a boutique called Creme de la Creme...the best of the best and their goal was to have individual artisans make up this boutique by renting out "booth space" to sell their wares. They've popped up everywhere now but five years ago it was completely unique and I was super excited about it. (P.S...they're still going strong where others have had to close; coincidence? I don't think so)  Luckily, I secured the biggest "booth" in the bunch since it was the early stages when I found out about it. This is also when the bug to build and create booths started and only got stronger after it was complete. It's no secret to my friends that I probably have the craziest imagination between us; it's always in overload really and I ...

Kate's Closet

Imagine a fabulous 8ft by 24ft walk in closet; sure they’re out there, but I know that…living in just 200sq ft, I don’t have one. In fact, I have a closet that is just 1ft wide by 4ft tall and hubby has one of his own. We did build a buffet that is great for folded items to fit; which is also awesome because I am one that absolutely loves ironing. No… that is not sarcasm; I REALLY do. I even iron sheets and pillowcases each week on laundry day. But…I digress. Imagine a great big, ROLLING, walk in closet; a closet that rolls right up to your front walk; plugs in, rolls out the proverbial red carpet…except ours is in a snow leopard print, and invites your friends to come in and play dress up. Yes… THAT! There are two Kates in our Traveling Kates collection of vintage traveling boutiques and Kate’s Closet is the larger of the two; she is 24ft where her sister Kate is just 10ft long. She’ll get a blog and renovations all her own later. ;) Kate’s Closet was a sad little thing whe...